Wednesday 9 January 2013

New Year's Resolutions (1 week late!)

Last week, my best friend asked me what my New Year's resolutions were. In the wake of every other blogger posting their resolutions and listening to my friends share theirs, I told her I decided I didn't really have any this year. I was sick of making the same New Year's resolution every year with no good intentions of keeping them.



One week later, I've changed my mind, and contrary to what I believed, I don't think New Year's resolutions are meant to be completely serious. Very few people make the resolution to lose weight or to find love arbitrary on the first day of a New Year and completely believe they will succeed. Rather now I believe New Year's resolutions are just meant to inspire thought, provide time for reflection on what worked or what didn't last year, and if they are kept, all the better. Here's my short list.

1. Check Facebook less and eventually faze it out
Think about it. When has having a Facebook ever made you happier? Most of my closest friends don't update often or even check it that frequently. While I hardly update or post anything new (sometimes vacation photos or mobile uploads), I do check it multiple times a day -- out of boredom, procrastination, and habit more than anything else. However, I've realized that doing so never makes me happier, and on the contrary, when I see a new couple get engaged every week (don't get me wrong, I'm completely happy for them)  invites the inevitable comparisons of "Why aren't I in a relationship? Why aren't I getting engaged?" that aren't healthy. Best to just bite the bullet and do it already! 

2. Keep up with current events more. 
There's not much more that needs to be said about this one. I don't typically keep up with many current events (I'm guilty of just relying on Reddit or Facebook to tell me the important stuff, then clicking on links to find out more about the big things), although it is arguable one of the most important things you should keep up with. Nothing bad can come out of being better informed about the goings on of the world. And perhaps I can fill the time I save by cutting out Facebook to do so.

3. Build my blog
I realized that my favorite blogs feature mostly short, lighthearted posts, usually restaurant reviews, outfit posts, a day in the life, recipes, etc written in a personable, sometimes snarky, manner. So I'm going to aim to do more of those. I've heard some criticisms that my posts are too long and "heavy." This is a personal blog, so my aim isn't to go publicizing it on every other social media outlet, but I'm going to try to make it more fun for me and my readers (the few of you out there) as well.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a practicing hematologist/oncologist living in sunny Southern California. I take care of sick patients during the day and try to live life to the fullest outside of work!

Followers